Ramblings of a wanderer - Nada R. Quraishi

Ahoy there,
Just felt a need to chronicle my funny little thoughts and my poetry so here goes...

Lo and Behold
Stories Untold

Forgotten memories
Unwritten Histories

A hope, A dream
A World Unseen

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Broken Wings...

I write this from the airport as I wait for my flight.

I had heard once that the waves of time are like the rising tide of the sea. They always push a person backwards… back to the shore… back to the starting point.

Somehow the story of my life seems to be spun around airports. I have always flown to some new destination whenever I started a new chapter of my life. And as I grew up, I traveled alone more and more often.

And here I am once again, with my laptop slung over my shoulder. Making another business trip. Traveling alone once more.

So, this is nothing new and I have merely gone back to my solitary travels. But there is now a difference. A subtle difference if you look at the set of my mouth, and a drastic difference if you look deep into my eyes.

Before… I used to wonder if I’d meet my soul-mate on this flight or the other, and never fly alone again. Before I hoped and dreamed that I’d settle down and build a nest. Put my wings to rest.

And then it happened. I got on what I had thought was a one-way ticket to heaven, with a companion for life. But it turned out that I was forced to take a return flight, all by myself, after a very short-lived and unpleasant trip. With some new baggage and some old.

Now… I see myself traveling on interminably. I wonder if the waves will keep pushing, and if I’ll end up at the same point again and again. Like all these people around me…in expensive business suits… with worry lines around the eyes… sipping coffee alone in a frequent flyer lounge somewhere.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nada, I stumbled on your blog but ended up staying a while and reading some of your past postings. You write beautifully and your sentiments are kind of wistful. Somehow it touches a chord with me. I hope you feel better soon. It's more than "this too shall pass", but recognition that it is a process and you are passing through it, maybe makes the realization a little easier. I've bookmarked your site so i can stop by again soon and check how you're doing. Best wishes.

7/19/2006 3:42 PM  
Blogger Nada said...

This is for my anonymous commentator... I think you made my day.

It is exactly the realization that it is a process that cannot be circumvented but has to be lived through, that gives us all the right perspective when bad things happen. As they do to us all.

Do keep visiting, and feel free to comment or contact me. Your words struck a chord with me too :)

7/19/2006 5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was hoping you would leave a comment. Would be happy to get in touch. I went back and read all your postings. They really touched me. I know what you mean about saying the truth but not meaning it, not the spirit of it. I hope your business trip goes well.

7/19/2006 11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home