Ramblings of a wanderer - Nada R. Quraishi

Ahoy there,
Just felt a need to chronicle my funny little thoughts and my poetry so here goes...

Lo and Behold
Stories Untold

Forgotten memories
Unwritten Histories

A hope, A dream
A World Unseen

Thursday, October 07, 2010

Almost two years...

There comes a time in every marriage when expression seems artificial, lovey-dovey talk needless and romantic poems so yesteryear.

There is peace, understanding, acceptance and inevitability of love. But appreciation? What of appreciation?

I thought today I was being a nice wife cooking my husband’s favorite dish, when he walked in early bearing two bouquets of flowers. He said he missed me and wanted to work from home today.

Why two bouquets? Because no matter what other beautiful flowers he sees and buys, he must always get me pink roses in addition. Because I had told him early on that they were my favorites.

I played a typical wife and chided him for not just getting the one bouquet. But at 2:33 am as he sleeps, I get up to write this.

Sajid, I want to appreciate you.

Because acceptance is not appreciation. Neither is understanding or tranquility.

It has not even been two years, but I think I have forgotten to appreciate you a little. So I want to make it up here.

I appreciate you walking into my life and chasing all the darkness away.

I appreciate how funny, smart and 6 foot tall you are.

I appreciate how caring you are, every single day. How you fret even in your sleep about whether the room is too cold for me.

How you treat me like I were some priceless treasure, even though it is the other way around.

How you do the dishes whether I ask you to or not.

How you find every single SUPPOSEDLY wrong thing about me ABSOLUTELY right - the irreverence, the outrageousness, the fighting spirit, the feminism, the impatience, the crankiness, the forgetfulness.

How you and I crack horrible jokes, like best friends in high school.

How we overanalyze and overtalk in exactly the same way that causes people like my sister to jump out of the window.

How you put me first ALMOST most of the time.

How I can be my real true honest-to-weirdness self with you all of the time.

How big a person you are, how gentle and non-combative.

How you continue to be the person who always buys a 2nd bouquet of pink roses for his wife.

I love you more and more each day, even if I express it less…

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww a very sweet and touching poem nads...can i copy an dpaste it for my hubby..cant write like u do i'll just change the name..lolz..May Sajid always bring 2 bouquets for uAameen and keep u Happy and tum bi...Aameen.

10/19/2010 11:39 PM  
Blogger Nabeela said...

That is just so sweet Nada. It brought tears to my eyes……and reminded me that I should appreciate more and accept/be passive less.

12/14/2013 5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your husband sounds like a dream! :) I have hardly come across such men. U are a v.lucky woman!
I love love stories. How about writing yours down as to how u met him etc. I am sure your readers will love it. It has to be the cutest story on your blog. :) Hope u take up on my request soon.

8/08/2016 12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home