Ramblings of a wanderer - Nada R. Quraishi

Ahoy there,
Just felt a need to chronicle my funny little thoughts and my poetry so here goes...

Lo and Behold
Stories Untold

Forgotten memories
Unwritten Histories

A hope, A dream
A World Unseen

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentines Day...

Much hyped, much debated and much dreaded.

Today over a lunch meeting with my boss, the subject came up and he said “I hate this holiday. Just Hallmark’s and candy shops’ gimmick to make money. It is so invented.”

To which I responded “Well everything is invented, isn’t it El… at some point or another by someone or the other? But the point is if it adds joy to our life, or makes it easier or better, it becomes a good thing.”

My boss, being a wonderful person who appreciates new or different outlooks unlike so many of us who just like to argue on, smiled and said “Wow, you know what – you are right! That was a profound thought Miss Quraishi!”

I smiled sagely and munched away on my yummy Mexican food, not wanting to give away that this was hardly a spontaneous outburst of insight, but actually something I’ve thought about, discussed and debated with a lot of people lately.

Valentines Day. What’s all the fuss they ask? Why all the opposition I say.

I mean why are a bunch of people sooo threatened by this holiday. And excuse me if I am being sexist here – but it seems to be mostly men who are freaked out. Nobody seems to have a problem with the superbowl or the world cup, the Olympics, Nascar, the auto show. So, dedicating a day or a whole week to sports or cars is just great but dedicating a day to love, romance or mushiness stinks? Yeah I get that. Makes sense.

It is just sooo typical. And it doesn’t stop here (the feminist in me is on a roll now). There are so many parallels of this male intolerance/derision /negligence/suppression of feminine interests. Spending 50 grand on a BMW is just plain common sense but spending 5 grand on a diamond ring is an unholy extravagance. The living room absolutely must have a surround-sound flat-screen entertainment system but wanting to have Prada bags or Gucci shoes is so frivolous.

A lot of times even when there is recognition of feminine needs or interests, it is accompanied with a sort or belittlement. “Just the stupid little things that make my wife/girlfriend happy.”

Ok and here is the line I hate the most. Make that two lines. “Why do I need to get flowers/cards/gifts on Valentines day to show you that I care? Don’t you know that I love you?” This line is best answered by “Why do I need to cook Biryani on Eid to show you that I care? Don’t you know that I love you?”

Next one. “Why do we need one day to celebrate our love? When you are in love, every day is better than a valentines day/birthday.” Amazing the corny lines men will think of when it suits their purpose. OK here is the problem with this one. This line of thought would be perfectly valid if a guy did the cute things that most girls crave like surprise gifts, flowers, dining out in style etc every so often. Once a month. Once in two months even. Then I could understand how Valentines days or birthdays or anniversaries would be redundant, superfluous, obsolete. But alas a lot of men can’t be counted on to exert themselves as many as six times a year to perform these arduous duties.

So, when you are essentially being let off the hook with just three days in a year, one of which is in your face and easy to remember, I would think that is a cause to be happy. Celebrate. Roses anyone?

6 Comments:

Blogger abcdefghijk said...

A male response
May Allah increase ur breed the last girl I debated on the topic of valentines day was in tears saying I am the cruelest meanest egoistic male, My response was madam those titles are as stale as the overpriced heart shaped candies being sold everywhere.. pardon me if this response appears to be a point by point rebuttal of ur post I am not trying to bellitle you
"But the point is if it adds joy to our life,by inflating my credit card bill or makes it easier or better (i wish valentines day did that), it becomes a good thing.,
"Nobody seems to have a problem with the superbowl or the world cup, the Olympics, Nascar, the auto show" which of these involve dressing up eating in a expensive restaurant giving a gift u don't like all they require is a TV remote chilled beer and some friends (even they are optional..) I personally dont watch them ( becos as socrates said publicly performed sports is the opium of the masses)
"Spending 50 grand on a BMW is just plain common sense but spending 5 grand on a diamond ring is an unholy extravagance" I earn it i spend it the way i want if u want to buy a $5000 ring with the diamond the size of ur brain go earn and buy who cares same for prada bags or gucci shoes (for me a piece of clothing or accessory doesn't become valuable or stylish because it has a the name of a gay weirdo stamped on it..) but then dont expect me to buy you a house, sorry if u want a house contribute equally to the payments, or else live in my apartment...
“Just the stupid little things that make my wife/girlfriend happy.” behaving like the masses and falling prey to the consumerist spending is not stupid then what is don't tell me watching soaps girls watch is more stupid than that I know it already!!!
“Why do I need to get flowers/cards/gifts on Valentines day to show you that I care? Don’t you know that I love you?” This line is best answered by “Why do I need to cook Biryani on Eid to show you that I care? Don’t you know that I love you?” exactly finally a girl with some brain, exactly don't do that we don't have to do what our friends are doing we are not a herd of sheep to behave in the same way we can be different we can have pasta/ steak on eid, it is not a religious requiremnt to have sheer khurma or biryani on eid!!!. can u get that girls.... no u ppl want to buy that $300 crockery to serve sheer-khurma once in a year to make your friends jealous. and u want to impress one and all with your culinary skills and nag me for a week for all the work you had to do gimme a break..,
"Once a month. Once in two months even"

ok I promise here and nada quraishi is a witness
for every weekend you will stay quiet and wont nag me, (things we as males "crave" for ) i will buy you a decent gift with flowers and dine you out... Its a deal I am so confident that i wont have to do that ever,

2/15/2007 11:52 PM  
Blogger tremblingthoughts said...

sorry but i could not resist adding- ALLAH hum sab ko aise ladkon se mehfooz rakhe, Ameeeeeeeen.

2/16/2007 3:52 PM  
Blogger abcdefghijk said...

I take sana's prayer as a compliment, you actually vindicate my views.....

2/16/2007 5:03 PM  
Blogger Moses John Wesley said...

oh Brilliant babe -

There is a great paradox - A man treats a woman like a woman needs to be treated with lots of love, attention, suprise gifts, sweet nothings till he gets her - and then something happens - woman diappears, wife appears

On the girls side, she treats the man like he is the most adorable one, dresses up for him, look her best, caresses, pampers, soothes till she knows he is her's and then something happens -
He is the boring shitty guy! - Who wants to dress up for him - He should like me for what I am - and caressing, sweet nothings - hmm...whats that?

I guess having days like these is good if they act as days to go back and lit up the few candles blown out along the way in the busy(ness) of life - But if these days become so important that the person is forgotten and only event - hmm... get a new girl / guy

3/30/2007 10:33 PM  
Blogger Nada said...

Hey John!

I just loved what you had to say. " guess having days like these is good if they act as days to go back and lit up the few candles blown out along the way in the busy(ness) of life - But if these days become so important that the person is forgotten and only event - hmm"

There's one luck girl out there whos gonna end up with my best buddy :)

4/04/2007 10:18 PM  
Blogger Moses John Wesley said...

@ Nada
hmmm....you are the 4th girl who said this in the last 2 months -
Ahem - every one points to the 'lucky' girl - no one wants to be the one - :P

Option open!

4/05/2007 12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home